Sunday, September 27, 2009

Short Update




The cysts are getting worse, but I'll be going in October 12 to a new obgyn to see what we can do. Birth control pills are supposed to help as far as treatment goes so I will try that and post the results here. I would like to avoid surgery if possible.

School has been extremely busy still, and I have missed three classes. This is not something I'm proud of, but I'll work around it. I've noticed that some teachers are quick to suggest dropping their class at this number of absences, but I think perhaps people should have a little more faith in their students. Let the overall grade reflect the student's performance. They are all decent instructors though, and I understand where they are coming from. Time will tell what the 'right' thing to do was, but I won't give up on my classes. I'm actually doing really well so far.

Some symptoms that are slightly worrisome:

*Constant, extreme fatigue. I am still tired after 12 hours of sleep.
*Severe abdominal pain from the cysts when I sit up to quickly or sometimes when I simply try to walk.
*Very small appetite. Anything sweet is simply repulsive to me right now, and that is saying quite a bit since I normally have a very large sweet tooth.
*Nauseated too often.

A lot of my other side effects would suggest pregnancy (I am not), but a cyst produces a lot of the same effects. Just something to keep in mind for any women exhibiting the same sort of symptoms.

I'll find a way around these though. Daniel and I have tickets to go see the Silversun Pickups on Wednesday, and I have no intention of missing any more classes regardless of how bad I feel. This is more so to prove my point that there is a difference between myself and people who skip because they just don't want to go. I'd like to keep my grades up anyway.

I changed my major as well. No longer Microbiology but Asian Studies with a minor in Japanese and Linguistics, and I may possibly fit Chinese in there (or save it for grad school). Oddly enough, I am doing the same amount of work in History and Literature classes that I was in Biology, Chemistry, and Math. That's all right though. I enjoy writing and close analysis reading.

It's not impossible to get through school with an illness.

No comments: